Scroll to see more
August 2020-November 2020
However, as a creative and problem solver, I find this to be untrue. From beginner to advanced artists, many find themselves having trouble connecting with collaborators and like-minded individuals. In the last few years alone, creatives on social media found themselves losing connections, having trouble keeping up with the daily trends, and finding it harder to enjoy their craft. Now, more than ever, there needs to be a place where artists can make deeper connections rather than pleasing an algorithm.
With the help of my partner Morgan, we made Co.Create, a platform that defies past social media logic by standing at the intersection of collaboration, learning, and creation. Through meaningful communities, daily prompts, connections, and mood board creation, Co.Create encourages all creatives to navigate their careers and hobbies, whether it be personal or professional.
Creatives should not have a hard time making meaningful connections or collaborations.
We used a variety of methods such as MoSCow, card sorting, and maps so we could be as innovative as possible.
In addition to interviewing competitors and creating personas, we looked at what features made other digital platforms successful. It helped define what Co.Create needed.
We then decided to organize our thoughts by sorting potential features into “Must Have,” “Should Have,” “Could Have," and "Won't Have" categories.
We wanted to include all the “Must Have,” “Should Have,” and “Could Have” features. To us, these were the most important pillars of our community.
After figuring out which features we wanted to include, our next steps were to use a method of card sorting to find which features should be on which page. We sent out cards to fifteen people and had them organize them based on what they believed.
One of the most important things we noticed during our card-sorting experiment was that people wanted to see features associated with seeking new groups on the Communities Page. But when it came down to more personal things like Your Groups, Personal Browsing, and Recommended Profiles, people preferred them on the Home Page. Therefore, we decided to take the liberty of putting other features like Your Saves and Your Daily Prompts there too.
We identified our products voice through research.
To initiate the design phase, I used insights gathered from the individuals I interviewed to establish characteristics that would steer the design process.
These characteristics then became five adjectives and a mission statement.
To achieve the personality I defined, I made style choices that would closely align with the identity of the brand. By defining the palette, I found a stylistic direction that would drive the high-fidelity screens.
The final designs of our product. We went through a few iterations to reach our final product.
Onboarding introduces you to Co.Create. You are able to add privacy settings and tags to make your experience unique.
The Hi-Fidelity Iterations informed me a lot about the design decisions. From here, I was able to figure out formatting and spacing throughout the app. It was important to keep consistency and see if the font and buttons fit all together.
The Home Screen acts as the users hub. Here, you can access your prompts, saves, and moodboards.
The Community page is a place to browse and curate your community. Check updates and search for friends.
The Profile page is a place for you to edit your bio and chat with friends.
These tasks were designed to test the most important features and find out if our design was intuitive.
To find a poet, we were anticipating a lot of indirect successes. We were glad to see that users were finding different ways to access a profile. Some people found it through groups, while others used the search bar or browse functions.
The Save Post to Moodboard task had a mix of different successes and failures. Some people found that there were too few ways to access the mood boards. Others were trying to access it from the feed.
Finding the Daily Prompts page and Creating a Group page were the most successful tasks. Users thought these pages were the most intuitive. We were happy to see this because those were the most thorough of our features and functions.
Based on our testing, a few changes were made to existing designs to enhance its usability. Here are the two most significant changes we've implemented:
When users were making a mood board, they had a hard time because they had a hard time finding their feed. They expected it to be easily accessible on the home page, but we originally had it as a separate page accessed by a button. To fix this, we added a tab that allowed users to access their feed from the home page.
One of the most important things we found that we needed to change was the onboarding process. Throughout each test, many people were having a hard time adjusting to the unique features of the app. To fix this, we created an explainer that allowed the user to learn more about the app. We then put spotlights on specific features on the profile that specifically gave instructions.